Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Candling!



So Matt and I heard about this weird thing called ear candling. I first heard about it on a radio show and then talked to Matt about it and he said he had heard some guys from work try it and love it. So the next time we were at a mall that had a GNC, we went in to see what this was all about.

In a nutshell.... Ear Candles are these long strips of cloth that are wrapped and sealed in beeswax and form a cone shape- with two open ends, one tiny and one larger. Now you need a partner to candle with. Then you get a pie tin (we used paper plates) and cut a hole through the center to insert your candle. The small open tip goes into your ear canal at a slight upward angle-- hold the candle in place. Your partner will light the larger open end and all you have to do is sit there and enjoy. Once your candle is burning, ash will begin to form-- once it is an inch long, your partner will need to snip the ash with scissors and then put the hot ash in water. When your candle is burning about four inches from your ear, thats when it's time to run the flame under water to extinguish it (take it out of your ear first). Once extinguished, you can unroll the remaining few inches of candle and see what came out of your ear.

The first time Matt and I did it we were so grossed out by the amount of gross orange wax came out of our ear. Matt wasn't even really convinced that all of that came out of our ear (he thought that it was something in the candle)-- so our next time candling, we bought an extra box so that we could burn one just to see what was on the inside after burning-- there was NOTHING. So we are now total belivers!

This is seriously the most amazing thing-- your ears feel cleaner-- and I have lately even been suffering from a massive sinus infection and have not been able to hear out of one of my ears for several days now-- I couldn't even clear my ears by holding my nose and blowing. So we candled tonight and my ear was able to clear (painful), but it cleared and I have a lot more of my hearing back. I am still stuffed up and don't feel 100%, but I am on antibiotics to help with that.

Man I just want everyone to try it-- in fact, we might just put a pack in everyone's stocking this Christmas so we can have a major candling session! I'm so excited!

No comments: